Social Icons

Tuesday 21 February 2012

What Is Extreme Poverty Like?

EXTREME poverty is life threatening. It means not having enough food, water, and fuel as well as lacking adequate shelter, health care, and education. It affects one billion people, roughly the equivalent of the entire population of the Americas. Yet, most people in places like Western Europe and North America have never known a person in extreme poverty. So let us meet some now.

Mbarushimana lives in Rwanda, Africa, with his wife and five children. A sixth child died of malaria. He says: “My father had to divide his land among six of us. My share was so small that I had to move my family to a town. My wife and I work at carrying sacks of stones and sand. Our home has no windows. We get water from a well at the police station. We usually have one meal a day, but when there is no work, we have no food all day. I go out when that happens—I can’t bear listening to the children when they cry for food.”
A poor family in Bolivia getting water from a river Read More

No comments:

LATEST NEWS

Share

Widgets

 

Total Pageviews